viernes, 27 de febrero de 2009

Drug Prices Cheaper With Coupons?

This week my doctor gave me samples (about 4 to be exact) of a new medication he thought would benefit me. He also gave me a coupon for up to $30 off with the written prescription he gave me. On this coupon your patient information must be disclosed. There is space for your name, address, and a check box "if payment to pharmacy".

I call it a coupon. The drug company calls it a copay assistance card. If by chance, your pharmacy does not accept the copay card it instructs you to complete the personal information and mail it in with your pharmacy receipt (cost to mail another 43 cents).

There are all sorts of codes listed on the card in a small box. What does this mean? It seems like some secret tagging process.

I have two issues with this - the privacy afforded patients by HIPAA , and the copay card itself. If you get "up to $30 off", that can only mean that the medication is at least $29.99. This is an average amount for any monthly supply of meds as far as I am concerned.

Thank you, but no thank you, doc. Did it ever dawn on you that I may not be able to fit this in my already tight medical budget? I would have appreciated more samples especially if you have prescribed it to help me. Even information about the drug would have been welcome.

I was turned down for more samples even after shouting down the hall that this seemed unaffordable. I was denied the time to even think about asking for written drug information. Makes you go hmmm....


J.L. Richardson, M.D. is author of the award winning (soon to be NY Times bestseller), Patient Handbook to Medical Care: Your Personal Health Guide.

http://mypatienthandbook.com/