martes, 16 de septiembre de 2008

Second Opinion, Third Opinion

Dr. Oz has spoken again. On today's "Oprah" he made it crystal clear that second opinions, even third, are "patriotic" and show you care about your doctor. He said physicians should not be offended if a patient gets another opinion. Instead physicians should embrace the opportunity and respect their patients. He further stated that that this is an opportunity for doctors to learn.

Most doctors do get a terrible attitude if they know you are getting other opinions. They must feel threatened in some way. Is it an ego thing? As a physician, I fail to see why other opinions are so hard for my colleagues to embrace and suggest. As a patient, I fail to see why patients fail to trust their instincts about seeking other opinions.

Whenever, I have felt that another opinion was needed for my health, I did so. I told my primary doctor - after the fact. I brought in the other doctor's notes and recommendations, and I expected them to be followed. I found that when doctors don't know about a new test or treatment they tend to discourage you and get you out of their office quickly. Instead they should be yearning to know more about it, and what you have found out about it.


Unfortunately, I have had to seek other opinions on more than one medical condition I have had. Each time it was the best decision and the right thing for me. Then my doctors embraced it. Being a physician patient does not get you better care as most think.

It is good to trust physician, but you must be cautious. Trusting someone else is far from enough when it comes to your health and well being. You must help yourself - Help, Empower, Lift, Prepare.

Get another opinion if you need to it. And another, until you have the best. That's the way Lance Armstrong did it.

Bravo again, Dr. Oz! Thank you and Ms. Winfrey.